Stories and events that happen at the Hoefer House! All of them crazy...most of them good....
Sunday, August 7, 2011
Alex Sees Wilde!
When Scott and I travelled to Haiti to meet Alex, we met another couple there who were visiting their son to also sign paperwork. The bond between us was instantaneous. We spent a lot of time with Jeff and Melinda and our boys in the visiting room. In the evening we would talk about our other kids, adoption, parenting, and fun stuff. We also endured the horrible good-bye early in the morning. In fact, just thinking about that morning is still hard for me. We rode to the airport with them, all of us sobbing, thinking it would be at least a year until we brought our precious boys home.
Fast forward two months to the earthquake and we were constantly emailing each other. In fact I went back and reread them and watched as we went from devastated, to hopeful, to fearful, to hopeful, to overjoyed. We have kept in contact ever since but since they are from Canada and we the US and neither of our boys had the right papers, we were unable to leave our countries. (We still don't have citizenship, but they now do! So they came and met us!)
I really wondered how it would go. Alex has talked some about Haiti but mostly imaginary things. Like when the ice cream truck came to Haiti all the kids got ice cream, the Chuckie Cheese was clean there and they were allowed to go, they each had American Girl dolls, and such. When we told him we were finally going to see Wilde he was so excited. However he kept asking things like "Will we go back to Boise though?" and "Wilde will go back with his parents right? They have one dark skinned kid and so do you so that we are special right?" We kept assuring him everything would be the same afterwards. A couple hours before we saw Wilde he goes, "Actually when I lived in Haiti we never went anywhere." I think he thought he was about to be found out and that we were going to start quizzing Wilde to see if all the Haiti stories he'd been telling were true.
Our visit with them went great! It was so fun and much too quick. Scott has been so busy travelling this summer that we just didn't have much time. In between my family and his and all the cousins, aunts, and uncles, it just has to be so rushed it feels like! Hopefully next summer we can see them a little longer. The boys had a wonderful time. No shyness at all. Instant hugging and laughing and playing and wrestling and even eating off each other's spoons. It was so cute and made me teary eyed. I love that they still have a bond like this! I hope that we can keep the boys in touch throughout the years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Love this post!
HI Abby, I love reading your postings. I never comment, but when I see you've updates I'm always excited. Reading this post just made my heart so glad and so emotional. What a gift these two little boys are to two amazing families. God is SOOOO good!!!! I just think about their little hearts and minds, and how the Lord truly protected them all that time.
Post a Comment