Thursday, January 6, 2011

Random Daily Life Events

OK so part of the reason for this post is to try out my upgrade on blogger which I didn't realize existed. I am hoping I can truly move photos around and caption them. I am so thrilled with this new feature than I'm sure is about a year old and  most of you discovered then. I however did not and couldn't figure out how to move photos or even see the order of photos!! It was all a mumble jumble of letters/numbers. Anyway.......

Behavior Modification
This is our new behavior system. I have tried multiple systems such as tally marks for good behavior and earning prizes and such. The kiddos all responded really well to tally marks but I decided I wanted a way to take them away. Yes...that's how mean I am. So now each child has a small jar with his/her initial. I like how this turned out actually using some of my scrapbook storage supplies. It's nice and small and not too tacky. At least I hope. Anyway since different children have different issues I didn't want to make it too complicated for the parents...so everyone is working on the same goals. Some earn their tokens much easier than others. If you stay in bed all night you get a token. If you get up and dressed and eat breakfast you get two tokens. See...It's not that bad. If you do a chore you get a token or two depending on the length of the chore. If you randomly do a chore you get two tokens for showing initiative. But only if you do it without asking for a token. If you leave your shoes, clothes, or socks out and a parent picks them up...you lose a token. If you don't clear your plate...you lose a token. If you scream and pitch a fit...you lose all your tokens. Just kidding. So there you have it.....behavior modification Hoefer Style!

Puzzles. Up until November I hated doing puzzles. Now I love them and am obsessed with them. I find it quite fulfilling! We have completed at least 6 puzzles as a family since then. And we leave them on think posterboard so we can move them....sometimes it's on the table but lots of times on the high counter. Genius aren't we?!
My friend Angie has introduced me to the world of looming. In one week I have made 7 hats and now a scarf. I am so inspired that I've decided I really want to learn to knit the hard way. So I am taking lessons at the knitting store. I am hoping the teacher is really patient and doesn't quit after our first lesson. They are private lessons....I would be far too disruptive with a group and demand all the teacher's attention. Angie had to go over and over with me how to loom....I just am not that smart when it comes to yarn crafting.
I am still spending lots of time scrapbooking! I am caught up to September of 2010 which feels really good.
And last but not least I am cooking and baking my way through the Pioneer Woman cookbook. I love her recipes and have learned so much. In fact I can now make a delicious roast that Scott says is as good as his moms!! They used to always be so dry and now they are moist and fall apart. It's been requested that I blog after each recipe but so far haven't gotten to that. Let's just say everything so far has turned out magnificent, its easy, and I love it. These biscuits are the best I've ever had. Besides McDonalds ones....I love those!!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I need a good biscuit receipt, I don't like the taste of Bisquick ones and want ones that taste like KFC ones (not that I even eat there, but I do like the biscuit. Maybe I need to get this Pioneer woman book....The reward thing looks good.

Unknown said...

Abby! Grea "day in the life" post! I love i! Your family is just great and you, my dear friend, are one amazing mom! So happy to call you friend!

Heidi C said...

fun to read your posts! So just curious - what do they get with their tokens? BTW I have the pioneer woman cookbook too and love her!

Abby said...

I totally forgot....each token is worth a dime. The 3 younger kids just went to Fred Meyer and spent the 3-4$ they have earned. Hailey is saving hers for an American Girl Doll...yeh...that's gonna take awhile!!

Rebekah Hubley said...

I really need to get The Pioneer Woman cookbook. I have heard more amazing things about it! Also, I didn't check, but if you need my URL, it is www.movingmountainshubleystyle.blogspot.com