





So once again we decided to take our annual once-a-year-Scott-loves-to-do-this camping trip. Each time I promise myself I'll have a good attitude and enjoy this and be a trooper. This year I declared out loud, "I am NOT a trooper...and this is my LAST camping trip." If you know me you know some of my camping adventures....8 months preggo with Avery....made it part of a day. Surrounded by good friends and way too many bugs and filth. Two years ago....made it 1 night. Avery screamed all night unless held. Last year was a record...made it 2 nights....and Avery and Karis threw up every hour in.the.tent!! This year.....only 1 night!
Just this past week I was thinking how much easier life was seeming lately. We are into a good routine, Alex is sleeping in his own bed! (he and Avery share a room now which is working beautifully), I've established some breaks during the day by making children stay outside or in their rooms for an hour, and certain children seem to be behaving much beter and being more regulated. etc etc. Well.....let's just say camping with 2 three year olds isn't going to be added to the list. Even Scott has declared we are done trying to go camping. At least for a couple years.
It was 105 degrees for one thing. We did have some fun....I made bug cupcakes which the kids decorated, jiffy pop, and even tried some dutch oven cooking. We went with some friends so we had fun with them. They have 1 child. 2 adults, 1 child. They all slept beautifully. As their 1 child was nicely biking with Hailey this morning, we had Avery refusing to bike and only be carried, Alex throwing a fit for an unknown reason, and Karis trying to learn how to ride without training wheels but insisting on an adult holding the seat the whole time. At that point Bryce, the father of 1, said, "There aren't enough adults here...you guys are outnumbered." Really?! That thought has never occurred to us before. :)
Anyway Avery only slept for 4 1/2 hours!! That's right. On top of that, the bugs, the heat, the work of it all, the darkness and trying to brush kid's teeth, the filth, I had enough. I ended up bringing the little kids home and Scott stayed with the big kids the next night. It worked out much better. They had a great time fishing and biking and they can survive on less sleep. The little kids and I went to Sonic, the pool, and bed!! I will not be posting my annual camping trip next year cuz it ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! Seriously....I do much better in a motel with a mall close by.
11 comments:
Abby, I'm so glad you updated the blog. I was starting to get worried about you. : )
The camping post...thanks for a great laugh. Paige & I were just talking about how we don't understand why people sleep in tents when there are perfectly good cozy beds around. Love you!
Carson was just asking the other day if we could go camping sometime and I declared "no, we will never go camping. We will always stay in a motel. You can camp in the backyard." Your post was hilarious!! Melanie
#1 - I'm glad you've gotten into a groove with stuff at home concerning sleeping and breaks. :)
#2 - Based on your history, I don't blame you for hating camping.
#3 - Miserable camping trips make good stories to tell your grandkids.
#4 - You trying to make the best of camping, even though you hate it, earns you some "cool mom" points. Be sure to cash them in as needed. :)
Thank you you three for your encouraging comments!!!
The outdoors are so overrated.
Your post had me laughing! Hope you are laughing about it now, too! ;o) Bless your heart for giving it another try, given your past and one more child added to the family! Kudos to you! Miss ya! Maybe one day you and your family ~ and us with our one (maybe two?) child/ren can try camping together......in another 5 yrs or so..........Hugs!
I am with you Abby! No camping, but we did find these cool little clean deluxe cabins in Central Oregon with bunkbeds, bathroom and yes, a small TV!!! The kids thought they were camping... :) Hotel beds, heated swimming pools, restaurants....ah, vacation. ;)
Maybe Scott can live his dream with the older kids alone next year. I must say though Gary and I hooted and hollered at this post!!!
LOVE you and miss you
the COOPERs
Abby, I LOVED reading this post... because we must be soul-sisters on this one! I grew up practical, outdoorsy, etc... but I HATE camping! Everything you wrote resonated with me! I am glad you went home early and enjoyed some pool time! :-)
That entire post made me laugh... :-) I hear ya sista... I won't do it for a couple more years either... Jonas is tented in his crib so he does not flip out, so whenever we go anywhere we have to tent a pack-n-play and that does not fit well in a tent... :-) so, we will see if we ever camp as an entire family... are you guys making it out to the reunion in August??
Too Funny. I don't like camping either so I am with you! Glad you endured it though.
Oh Abby! I'm so sorry it didn't go well again. :) If ever you guys do want to try it again, we'd love to take you on a little "camping light" trip! I too hate bugs, filth, outhouses, and just in general being "uncomfortable". This place has none of that, though I can't do much about the sleeping. :) Hope you have some fun "hotel" adventures in your future!
PS - I love that someone else is reading The Pioneer Woman, she's fantastic and her story kept my glued to the computer for several days!
Post a Comment