The picture below is the first thing we did in Haiti. Let me rewind a bit....we left Monday night and flew all night to Miami. When we arrived in Miami we met up with another couple who is adopting and some volunteers who were going to work at the orphanage. I was so nervous to meet the couple- Catherine and Kevin- who were adopting also. When we met at the gate both Catherine and I started crying and hugging each other. We had an instant connection. There aren't many others who know how hard this feels so to be face to face with another mom as we embarked on this together was priceless. Scott and Kevin didn't start crying though. :) We boarded the plane to Haiti and then I really started to have a hard time. I wanted to talk to my mom but was too emotional so Scott called her. Then I ended up being able to call another friend who has been through the international adoption process twice and done the meet, leave, and come back; so she was able to reassure me and let me know she was praying.
The flight to Haiti was 2 hours and when we landed I started crying again, as did Catherine. It was so nice to not be the only basket-case!! We navigated through the airport fairly well and found our driver who had a sign with our names. We were told to not go with anyone who didn't have God's Littlest Angels ID or to not let anyone take our bags. As soon as we got out to the car people were all around yelling, "I'm hungry!" and pointed to my bag of snacks. It was heart-wrenching but that was only the beginning. I can't even describe driving through Haiti to the orphanage. Poverty like I have never seen before. People everywhere, garbage, shacks of houses and stores. And the driving. OH my goodness...it was crazy. We had so many near accidents it was unbelievable.
As soon as we arrived at the orphanage we were greeted by Melanie- the girl who takes pictures and writes updates every month. She gave us lunch which was so good. Some sort of rice and sauce and fried plantoon I think-banana. Very good. Then she told us we had our appointment with the judge. So we got back in the car and drove some more. Up and up we went and around and around until we came to the court which is pictured below. We signed some paper after the clerk typed for about 15 minutes. Eric our social worker was with us and did all the talking. He also photographed us signing as proof we were there. Then we went back to the orphanage for the moment we had been waiting for.
Alex lives at the toddler house which is up the road from the main house so our driver took us there. I can't even describe the emotions going through me as we walked into the gate and I looked around at all the children and heard them yelling, "Mama Alex, Mama Alex". GLA is so wonderful in the way they do things...they have a special room where parents meet their children in private. So Joyce (one of the girls who runs the orphanage- she is 26 and is from Canada) took us upstairs where Molly (another girl who runs the orphanage from the US) was waiting with Alex. We walked in and I started crying and sat down next to him on the couch and so did Scott. He was holding a book we had sent and wearing clothes we had sent him. He just kept patting the book. Then I asked if I could hold him and he let me. I would compare this moment to when our girls were born and I first held them. As you take in the weight of their little body, their smell, and gaze into their eyes, all the emotions I felt after giving birth I felt as I held this little one born of my heart. All my anxiety melted away as I bonded to him. After a few minutes Molly said she would leave us alone and she told us there was snacks for him and toys.
The room we were in was next to a balcony and down below all the other children were playing. He very quickly started to get up and run to the balcony and yell something down and then come back to us. Then he started going through my purse and holding things up to show the children. You could tell he was quite proud of himself that his parents were here. We took pictures and watched him play and then it was time for him to eat dinner so we left. They didn't have us eat with him because I think that is too bonding at this point and since we weren't taking him home they didn't want us to do things with him that parents do who are taking their children home. They did a really good job of preparing the kids for this though and since it is happening to all of the kids there it is good that they are able to understand. One thing I wasn't prepared for was the language barrier. He really couldn't understand much of what we said I don't think. Molly translated for him in creole but other than that we just had to go with nonverbal, which was fine. His little voice is so cute!! We video taped him quite a bit when we were there so that has been fun to watch. OK, I am going to finish on the next post.....

3 comments:
Oh Abby, how wonderful that you got to meet Alex....what a precious boy he seems to be. :) He looks so happy to be with you in the pictures as you with him.
You're making ME teary! So happy for you guys to finally get to meet him.
I love your stories. Thanks so much for sharing. Reminded me of the first time we held our boys. They didn't grow in my belly, but in my heart. Such a peace and joy that comes with adoption. Love you guys so much. Prayers will continue to come your way to the FATHER of the UNIVERSE!
deb & gary
Post a Comment