Scott and I walked in the room and instantly babies are crawling at you, trying to climb up you if they can, pulling on our shoes, and holding up their arms and crying. We would hold two at a time. Finally we decided to each take one up to the balcony to play. It was fun but so overwhelming. The needs were so great. Thankfully volunteers come to GLA just to hold and play with babies, so several were there doing just that.

Then we went to the US Embassy, we were there a couple of hours and got all of our paperwork filed. Catherine and Kevin went with us and once again it was so nice to have them for moral support. We also met another couple when we were there who we stayed with us at the guest house who are also adopting. We instantly bonded with them also. Both couples we met have other children also so we felt like our situations were very similar. We shared together, cried together, comforted each other, and promised to pray for each other. It was really neat to meet these people. Another person we met was a mom who was actually bringing her little guy home to the Netherlands so that was fascinating to get to know her and to see how her little boy was reacting to leaving the orphanage.

After we got back from the US Embassy we were able to spend the rest of the afternoon with Alex and also with Melinda and Jeff - the parents from Canada adopting Wilde. It was so fun to get to know Alex better. We gave him some gifts and he absolutely loved one of them, a little yellow car that you shake and then it goes. He did it over and over and over. We also gave him an Elmo phone which he loved and a Diego toy that didn't make any noise so he wasn't quite as into that! We also brought M&M's and it was so sweet....he would take them and throw them over the balcony for his friends to eat too. We were amazed at how selfless these kids were. They have so little but were so willing to share.



This picture makes me sad. As the day was coming to an end we walked down to the gate and Alex became more and more somber. He just clung to Scott's hand. We had to leave to eat but then we did get to come back that night so that was great. When we got back all the kids were in a group and all of a sudden he comes running up to me laughing and holding out his arms. So priceless. I tell you I have cried more this week than I can remember ever crying this consistently. This is such an emotional journey. When it was time to go to bed that night as I handed Alex to his nanny his little lip went up and he started crying. It was awful. I was not prepared for him to realize or to care, I didn't think it would mean so much to him but he really does seem to know who we are.
GLA does a really good job of preparing these kids for their parents. They talk about us all the time and tell the kids over and over that they will not live at the orphanage forever but with their families. In fact some of the kids play, "the white parents are coming" and they pretend to be the parents and the kids run up to them and then "go home" with them. I love that.

The next morning it was time to go. They got him up early so we could have an hour with him. It was a precious and very hard time. He really hung onto me and I couldn't not cry. Molly translated for us as we told him how much we loved him and that we would be coming back for him and other things we wanted him to know. I pray he remembers those words and that God comforts him as he waits. I was so encouraged by Molly and Joyce. They promised to love on him and take care of him. They said they were going to make that day his special day and watch movies with him in the special room and let him eat all the snacks he wanted. We are so grateful to have them there loving on him and caring so much.

Here he is with Wilde. We really hit it off with his parents so we plan on getting the boys together once they are home. I am so excited for that! There is so much more I am forgetting but this is already so long so I will caption a few more photos and then be done as my arm is going numb!!



I love how cuddly he is.



I think Scott looks so happy here!!


This is where he sleeps, the bottom bed with 3 of his friends. A nanny sleeps in the room with him. I am thinking that we will have to cosleep with him when he comes home or he is going to be scared since he has never slept alone. The girls have all agreed to trade off sleeping with him too! But then Avery said, "I will sleep with him but I get my own bed and he can have a mattress next to me."

The next morning it was time to go. They got him up early so we could have an hour with him. It was a precious and very hard time. He really hung onto me and I couldn't not cry. Molly translated for us as we told him how much we loved him and that we would be coming back for him and other things we wanted him to know. I pray he remembers those words and that God comforts him as he waits. I was so encouraged by Molly and Joyce. They promised to love on him and take care of him. They said they were going to make that day his special day and watch movies with him in the special room and let him eat all the snacks he wanted. We are so grateful to have them there loving on him and caring so much.

Here he is with Wilde. We really hit it off with his parents so we plan on getting the boys together once they are home. I am so excited for that! There is so much more I am forgetting but this is already so long so I will caption a few more photos and then be done as my arm is going numb!!



I love how cuddly he is.


I think Scott looks so happy here!!


This is where he sleeps, the bottom bed with 3 of his friends. A nanny sleeps in the room with him. I am thinking that we will have to cosleep with him when he comes home or he is going to be scared since he has never slept alone. The girls have all agreed to trade off sleeping with him too! But then Avery said, "I will sleep with him but I get my own bed and he can have a mattress next to me."
He has some amazing nannies who take care of him and love him too. They are Haitian women so we weren't able to communicate much but I could tell they were compassionate and loving.

This is his preschool room. He will start learning English when he is 4. Of course he will be home before that right?!!! Please pray he comes home soon. Everyone wants to know when he will be home and frankly we just don't know. We are in parquet and then have to go through courts so it will still be awhile. I am praying for a miracle though!! I have such a peace that he is in such a good place though. It doesn't replace a family but it sure is a loving and good and safe place to be for now.

This is his preschool room. He will start learning English when he is 4. Of course he will be home before that right?!!! Please pray he comes home soon. Everyone wants to know when he will be home and frankly we just don't know. We are in parquet and then have to go through courts so it will still be awhile. I am praying for a miracle though!! I have such a peace that he is in such a good place though. It doesn't replace a family but it sure is a loving and good and safe place to be for now.

16 comments:
Amazing!!! I love your stories!!! and he is super cute!!!!!!!!!! Praying for your momma heart!!!
I loved reading about your trip! It sounds like it was amazing. I'm so glad you had a great time meeting Alex!
Oh my goodness, tears and tears and tears - happy ones of course. I'm so glad the trip went well and that meeting and bonding with Alex was so wonderful and easy. From the sounds of it, he is definately a perfect fit - perfectly picked by God for you guys! Glad you are back safely, can't wait until the next time when Alex will be with you! So much love and prayers!
Crissy
PS - yes he is SUPER cute! and all 3 of you look very happy!
WOW Abby! So amazing to me and so wonderful. It just touches my heart.
Yep, he definitely is a cutie....those eyes and that smile. :)
Abby, Thanks for sharing from your heart! And for all the great pictures!! Alex is VERY cute!!
Praying for your heart and that Alex will be home soon!! Thankfully you have met him, got to know a little bit more about him personally.
Dear Abby and Scott,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Alex on your blog. It was very well written and heart felt. He is indeed a cutie pie.
He is also a very blessed boy to have you two as parents and the girls for family (except all the pink he will have to endure).
We miss you guys,
Kevin
(Added by me from e-mail so I can keep all the good wishes together.)
Hi Abby,
I've been tracking you since Tuesday morning when Kate called me to pray for you, Scott, Alex....and your family! She kindly updated me on answered prayer and forwarded Facebook notes to me too. And she sent me your blogspot again (which I remembered to bookmark finally).
I cried through your entire blog of day 1 and day 2! I am praying for a reunion-bring-him-home-NOW-miracle...and praising God for a good visit with him and parents of the same heart who shared the journey with you. I look forward to meeting him someday (hopefully sooner rather than later).
Hugs to you, friend!
Jackie
(Added by me to keep all the good wishes together)
Wow, he is definitely the cutest!! What an awesome post to read!! I'm so glad you guys got to meet him. I can't imagine how hard this must be. I'm praying he will be able to come home soon!
Abby,
Such a sweet little guy ... isn't it just amazing how awesome our God is and how He has just the right children planned for us?!
I loved reading all about your trip and am so praying for the day when I can see pictures of all six of you together. (And looking forward to the day sometime after that when I get to meet him!)
Love,
Kate
Your blogs made me cry. I promise to pray harder than ever that this process will speed up, so he can be present as part of our family. (He's definitely already part of the family, and I can't wait to meet him!)
HI Abby, we went through our visit in August and many of the emotions you write about our similar to ours. The lump eventually goes away or becomes less prevalent. I think your heart will miss him more now. I will be praying and praying for you along with all of the GLA families and babies and workers.
I hope this speeds up.
Cathleen
Beautiful beyond belief...Alex, your story, EVERYTHING! Prayers! Prayers! Prayers for that miracle you are so wanting. I can't even begin to tell you the tears I have right now!
Loved reading about your trip. Praying for him to be home soon. Can't wait to hear more.
How amazing you guys! Abby you are a wonderful story teller - feels like I am watching you on your trip
Susan D
Hi Abby, I can't wait to see our new little nephew in person. I enjoyed reading about the trip and you and Scott meeting Alex, though it brought tears. It reminded me of a time in our lives, 22 years ago... Love to you all, Nancy
Post a Comment