Friday, May 1, 2009

Our Little Guy








We got a fabulous update from the orphanage this month. Usually there aren't a lot of details so this one was a special treat. I am just going to copy and paste it for you all to read. Scott and I had tears in our eyes as we read about our wonderful little boy. Oh how I wish we could bring him home today. Please keep praying for this process to move faster!!! And I am so thrilled he finally got the package we sent 8 months ago!!
It’s great to be able to write you and share with you a little bit about how Alex is doing here at the toddler house. He is a wonderful child and we consider it a huge blessing to be able to be a small part of his life while he is waiting to be united with his forever family.

Alex’s birthday present has arrived and we had a little birthday celebration. Alex was not all that excited at the beginning of the party but when the cake and presents came out then the smiles and excitement. Alex was by far the most interested in his album and loved looking at the pictures of his new family. He listened quietly as I told him about mom and dad and his sisters and he even bent down and began to kiss the pictures. Alex spent a few more minutes with the book before reaching for his cake. I tried to move the album away so he wouldn’t get it dirty and he wouldn’t allow it. He wanted it right next to him as he finished up eating.

Alex shares a room with twelve of his close friends and three nannies who take great care of Alex and loves him very much. Alex is a wonderful boy who is kind, sweet, soft spoken and gentle. He is very easy going and does what is asked of him. Alex plays very well with others and shares well. He is up for any game but loves to play on the tricycles and swinging on the swings next to his friends. Alex sleeps on the bottom bunk next to his friends Manuel, Heugens, and Delidson. Alex sleeps very well through the night and is often one of the first children asleep in his room.

Alex spends one hour just a five minute walk away from the toddler house with our Haitian preschool teacher Kiki. Kiki is a wonderful teacher and loves these children very much. Kiki has more patience with the little two and three year olds than anyone else I have ever met. Kiki starts teaching at eight in the morning and is finished at one thirty in the afternoon and talks to those kids constantly with very few minutes of silence. Alex is in the first group that goes from eight in the morning until nine and he is usually one of the first kids at the gate with corn flakes still sitting on his face waiting for his nanny to take him to school. Alex loves Kiki and gets very excited about seeing her each morning.

Alex attends church here at the toddler house every Sunday morning. Our oldest twenty children go to a church nearby which last for three hours, which is too long of a period to expect our younger child to sit through. Our nannies sing songs, preach and read from the bible and memorize bible verses with the children each Sunday. Alex sits quietly and listens as his nanny teaches him different stories of Jesus.

A team from my uncle’s church in Florida was here this week and it was a full and busy week of fun. The team brought down new tricycles, balls and dolls for the children. Alex’s only interest was the tricycles and was one of the lucky kids that received one right away. He took off down the yard as fast as he could with a huge grin on his face. They also brought down party supplies and we had a party Wednesday night that was great fun. The night started off with instruments and dancing and singing and moved on to glow sticks, silly string, party poppers and super jumbo pixy sticks that were almost as long as some of the smaller toddlers.

Alex’s current measurements:

Weight: 25 lbs
Height: 84 cm

Adoption status: IBESR

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Well, gee, Abby, I don't know why you cried...I did and he's not my little boy, but he is my nephew! He is adorable. It must be so very hard to wait so long. You are so patient...what a life change he will have when he arrives here! The girls will adore him... I'm really happy for you all. Aunt Nancy!

Rebekah Hubley said...

I love it!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that EVERYONE is getting AMAZING updates this month!!!!!! He looks great! Where are you guys in the process...I lose track... WE are still waiting on dispensation...

Becky said...

That is a wonderful post. I am glad he got his gift and we are hoping he will be here soon!!

Heidi C said...

Abby that is such a great update of your little boy too. I got tears in my eyes when I read that he kissed the photos of you all and he wanted the pictures next to him the whole time he ate. So precious. I prayed for you today and that the Lord will open the doors quickly in a miraculous way to bring that little one home to you.

Levi and Stephanie Teasley said...

Wow...Abby...what a precious gift to hear so much about your sweet little boy! I'm totally teary eyed! We are praying that the Lord would be busy at work!!!

KELLY said...

Beautiful, beautiful boy. This post made me cry. I pray he's in YOUR arms soon!

Amber and Nala said...

That is SO sweet! How adorable that he was kissing the book. :)

Anonymous said...

It wad fun to hear so much about Alex. From the sounds of it, he will fit perfectly into your (our) family!

Jen said...

He is so adorable! What a fun update to read. I'm still praying you'll have him in your arms soon!!