Sunday, June 14, 2009

End of the Year

Last night was Karis' End of the Year ballet performance. Actually it was a whole production. In fact I had no idea how much was involved until we were way into it. They had to buy a costume, wear make-up, and rehearse for 3 hours Thursday and Friday night!! All for a four year old's ballet production! Well the whole school's performance. She was on stage for a minute and a half for all of that! I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole thing to be honest. Her costume theme was Rodeo Girls on Parade and they could choose between little gingham dresses or the outfit Karis chose. I don't know but it all felt a little "pageanty" to me. Maybe its just because I'm not used to this whole dance thing but seeing all these little girls with their make-up done and frilly costumes maybe me feel like I was watching TLC's "Toddlers and Tiaras". And the director of the dance school is so strict. She sent out pages of expectations, tight colors, no drinks except water in the costumes, only dry snacks, etc. It just seemed a little much for preschool dance. I will say Karis loved her dance teacher Miss Sarah though. Like adores her...talks about her all the time..wants her to visit us in Boise...hugs her....makes her cards...etc.

And I will say watching our little girl up there was so fun. She just beamed the whole time with the biggest smile. She was definitely in her element. In fact she kept asking when it was time to go back to practice. "I love being on stage" she said multiple times. I thought she was the star of the show but I am sure every parent was thinking the same thing about their child. Maddie came and watched her sister Emma who was in it too so that was fun to see her afterwards. And Miss Jessica our children's pastor came to see Karis. That was so sweet of her. Karis absolutely adores her so it meant a lot to have here there. I couldn't take any pictures of her dancing because it wasn't allowed but I did video tape it if anyone wants to see. Hailey's last day of school was Friday. Wow....I can't believe the year is over. I remember crying and crying when school first started- we missed her so much having her gone all day everyday!! She had a great year- really grew in her self-confidence and her reading and writing just took off. I can't believe how well she reads and writes now! I didn't expect that to happen in Kindergarten but she had a great teacher who was so kind and loving and also a good teacher! I felt really sad for her saying good-bye to her friends and to her school. I had a hard time not crying. She didn't cry but she was really quiet at the end. I know she'll adjust and make new friends but I still feel guilty taking her away from this great school, great kids, great teachers.
OK and just had to throw this one in here. Any idea what these silly girls are wearing?




6 comments:

Becky said...

I would love to see the video of the dance. She did look cute! Congrats to Hailey! My guess is your underwear.

Anonymous said...

Love the dance outfit! Karis looks so cute!

KELLY said...

OMG...they are wearing your underwear! Hang in there with the move, Hailey is such a sweet girl she will make new friends quickly...and you will, too!

Anonymous said...

Karis looks awfully cute in her costume but I can see how you could classify that as "pageantry."
Hailey will make friends easily after seeing her personality today. She is a sweet, friendly girl. All your girls are great, Abby. I enjoyed meeting them. Hope to see you in August.
Melanie

Andrea said...

Karis definitely looks in her element as you said. The girls are all so cute - even in your underwear!

Amber and Nala said...

Cute pictures. :) OMG....your underwear, really? That is too funny. :)