Sunday, June 28, 2009

Vacation Bible School




So last week our church had VBS. Every year I volunteer for VBS and I love it! This is the first year I have had a child old enough to actually attend so I volunteered for her class- going into 1st grade. The church has a daycare so if you volunteer you get free daycare during it and they do a modified VBS curriculum. So Karis went to that and had a wonderful time. I knew it would severely stress Avery out to go to daycare for 3 hours 5 days in a row so I opted to keep her with me and she did great too! We had a WILD group of kids but it was lots of fun. Several of the kids come from really hard situations so it was neat to be able to spend time with them and hopefully show them a glimpse of who Jesus is and to point the way to how He can help them right now.


The theme was Wild Wood Forest and I can't believe how cool our church looked. Every room was turned into an amazing experience. From the tree top art studio to the dark cave to Africa. So many people put in so much time. I'd say there were at least 50 volunteers everyday! Wow....what a great church we have! The girls all learned a lot and they also learned some new songs complete with dance moves! In fact Karis keeps singing about the "missing God". The song actually says, "living God". They also got to do some amazing crafts. People go all out with preparing the crafts so the kids come away with great things (a key holder, wind chime, candle holder, necklace, pot holder, and more.) It was a fun week but I am kind of glad it is over and now we can sleep in and not be rushing out the door by 8:30 each day!

Sorry about the poor picture quality but I couldn't include any with kids on my blog per church policy so these were the best I had. And I'm in a hurry to go help Scott get the wild girlies to bed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does look cool! Was VBS that cool when we went??

Melissa said...

It sure wasn't when I went. I help with VBS at our church every year. They go all out too. We have over 200 kids and over 100 volunteers. It takes months to prepare! The kids sure love it though. Ours is next week. This will be the first year, I don't have any kids in childcare. (They do childcare for worker's kids). I can't believe my kids are all school age now! :(

Becky said...

Sounds like a great time!