

For the first time ever I drove for more than 2 hours with the girls by myself. Last September Julia came to visit me from Happy Valley (a 4 hour drive) with two, yes two, 8 month olds! So I figured if she can do it I should be able to do it. So on Monday I packed up the mini-van, turned the DVD player on, and put Avery's carseat in the very back next to Hailey. I put Hailey in charge of doling out the snacks and away we went! I could not believe how well it went driving 4 hours but the girls did great.
We went to Camas to see my friend Melanie first. Melanie and I go way back to college! Fun times for sure. She remains one of my best friends even though our time together is so limited these days with 6 kids between the 2 of us. The girls loved being with her kids and everyone played like they were old friends. Melanie and I learned how to be moms at the same time- she with Carson and me with Hailey. We were perfect moms back then who never let our babies cry and attended to their every need. We laughed about how different life is for the 3rd! And speaking of the 3rd isn't their little Mckenna adorable? And Savannah (3) was the life of the party. They had so much fun on the slip-n-slide that we ended up buying one to use here.
After Melanie's we headed to Happy Valley to Julia's house. Julia has twin 2 year olds and she has it all down to a science. In fact I told her I wish I would have thought of some of her tricks 6 years ago. When the girls get up they play in their "pen" in her room while she gets dressed and ready. They are totally safe and happy. Hailey and Karis LOVED playing with the "babies". They would pretend that one was Hailey's and one was Karis'. I tried to remind them they had their own 2 year old to play with but somehow matching ones are more fun!
I tried to get a group photo but Daphne wasn't about to sit in it. I can't believe that is all the photos I took the whole time I was there! OH well..... I did get one with Penelope in the pen at least. While we were there Laura came to visit. I love Laura and I really miss her so it was fun to see her again. We had such a great time staying at Julia's! Her house is one big kid party. Toys in every room. In fact the dining room has a large play house and 2 cars! The girls were in heaven and played so well the whole time. It was actually relaxing for me. And Avery is coming out of her shell because she actually got down and played a lot which is unusual for her. So it was really nice. Thanks Julia for letting us invade your house!!
After Julia's we headed to Rachael's where I got a big treat. She kept the girls for a night and I went and had some much needed girl time and un-interrupted conversation. I met my cousin Monica for lunch and then headed to Sherwood to stay with Kristi. We went on a couple walks, shopped a lot, and ate a lot. It was fabulous!! Then I headed back to Canby to stay with the girls. They of course were having a wonderful time with Rach, Rojallio, and his sweet little sister Adalaina. They even went to his house and experienced some true Mexican culture. In fact they now think they can speak Spanish. Rach said they all thought Avery was so cute because she was so "blanco" (white and hasbig blue eyes.) So funny because we always think dark babies are so cute. I guess every race thinks the others are cutest.
Yesterday we headed home and that was the hardest day. Avery was done with travelling and spent a lot of time screaming. I did what my friend Brian advised- cranked up the Ipod really loud. It still bothered me but it wasn't as bad that way. She slept for about 30 minutes of the 4 hour drive. Oh but on the way home we stopped in the Dalles and saw another cousin- Kirsten. That was great to see her. She is 16 weeks pregnant and looking adorable!
It was so good to get home. The girls really were missing Scott and so was I!! He was able to get lots done on the house now so all we need is someone to come look at it and buy it. Seriously this is a big worry for me so if you are a prayer could you pray this house would sell before we have to move? OK off to keep celebrating Fathers Day!!
1 comment:
Sounds like a great time. Glad you got some time to yourself too.
Post a Comment