Sunday, September 18, 2011

Homemade Lunchables

So the girls LOVE lunchables.....especially the pizza kind. This year I have been inspired to make lunches a little more fun. I occasionally buy lunchables, but frankly there isn't enough food in one to fill up my girlies, so I have started making my own. That way I can add a little more food, make it a little healthier, and save on cost! Here is a pizza one. I took pita bread and cut it in circles. Put pizza or spaghetti sauce in a little container, and then used silicone cupcake liners (finally a use for them....too much clean up to use for baking for me) to put in the toppings. The girls love them so much and since I give them at least 6 crusts, they are not starving an hour later!

6 comments:

Rachael Melhorn said...

I'm curious how you put the pita scraps to use after you've cut out the circles?

Sara Shearer said...

Love this idea Abby. Lauren always wants to buy the lunchables, but I don't want her to eat all that processed food. I couldn't ever think of a good way to make it work and be fun too! Thanks for the ideas!

Melissa said...

What a great idea!

Becky said...

Do you send these to school too?

Abby said...

Yes I send them to school with a plastic knife. I lay a napkin down over it all to help it not spill but some of it does. There is a lid on the sauce.

With the leftover bread i let the kids use it to dip in hummus. Just save it in a baggie.

Abby said...

I also make meat, cheese and cracker lunchables the same way and just cut the meat and cheese into shapes, glad you all liked the idea....thanks!