So we had Hailey's parent/teacher conference yesterday. I don't know why but I get nervous right before these! It is weird being on the other side after teaching and conferencing with parents. I try really hard not to be the annoying parent who takes up too much time and gets the whole schedule off for the rest of the day. And I try not to act like I know everything she is saying but frankly so much of what Hailey does in school is exactly what I taught in first grade. The exact curriculum (Houghton Mifflin) and some of the same little books, sheets, activities! It is really fun for me and brings back so many memories. The cool thing about all day Kinder is she is literally doing what I expected out of first graders.
I am so excited for how she is doing with literacy. Anyone who knows me well knows I am not into my 2 year olds knowing colors, shapes, numbers, sounds, whatever. In fact I'm not even into my 4 year old doing those things. I honestly believe all of that stuff comes when it is supposed to and you can teach and practice but frankly I just don't- I guess I'd just rather craft with them. :) Anyway all that to say I can't believe how exciting it is to watch your child learn to read. When she started the year she was a DRA -pre and now she is at DRA-3! (A reading assessment- not grade-level 3- basically she should be at 3 by the end of Kinder so she is doing great.) Also she is totally writing- like this: I fet gud bcuz my feds wer with me. Translation: I felt good because my friends were with me. I love this phonetic writing!! So as you can see I am quite excited. And also I had been a little worried about her math but she has come so far with that too. Right where she should be.
Also the teacher said she is coming out of her shell more and more. She said she is still really well-behaved but will now talk during class discussions. She has lots of friends and gets along well with everyone. So we are so proud of her and so glad this year has gone so well for her!!
4 comments:
Good job to Hailey! Glad she is doing so well.
That is awesome! Way to go Hailey and a DRA 3 is wonderful! You should definitely be a proud Momma! ;) Have fun on your trip!
Amber
I get really nervous for Carson's preschool conference which is at the end of the year. Next year will be even worse. I will be the exact same way as you. Hailey is a smart girl because she must have really smart parents. Didn't you graduate from college magna cum laude? Melanie
Oh good, Hailey got Scott's brains and your sense of style. Great combo!
Post a Comment