Friday, August 29, 2008

Fun Ideas

So I have been reading on some blogs that Moms pack fun lunches for their kids for school and do fun after school snacks. Since Hailey is starting all day Kindergarten on the 8th I thought one way to get my mind off of it and stop crying would be to plan some fun lunches and snacks. So if you have any ideas please leave them in the comments!

I haven't blogged much about Hailey starting Kindergarten but basically I am really sad about it. I will miss her so much but I know she is ready. The only option in our town is all day so that is what she will do. It just seems so long and I worry about her being hungry since she will have to eat only at lunch time and snack time and she is used to eating whenever she gets hungry. I know it sounds silly and that she will quickly adjust. I also just worry about her being away from us and being sad. I know she will make friends just fine...she is very social but I still worry.

I also worry about Karis- she and Hailey literally play for hours everyday together so I think she will be so lonely. However she and Avery will probably play more now. In fact Avery is always left out because she messes everything up so maybe this will work out well for her since she will be Karis' only option. ;)

So all you Moms of school age kids give me some reasons to look forward to this new chapter in life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Emmett loves trail mix. Raisins, coconut, a few chocolate chips, craisins. That might be a fun snack. You could add nuts so that it has protein.

I have heard from some of my friends that the non-school age kids get bored without their siblings, but at least Karis and Avery have each other. I know it's an adjustment, but you will all do just that...adjust! And just think of all that Hailey will get to experience. She will do great! (Easy for me to say because mine is still home with me for the next four years.)

Becky said...

well if you do move, Karis and Ella can have some play dates for sure.

KELLY said...

Oh Abby...I feel sad for you, too! I never really thought much of all day K, until it's getting closer and closer for Faith. I agree with you on all counts. She'll do great and so will you! Plus, Hailey has the added benefit of having "involved" parents. If something isn't going well, you'll know right away for sure. Things I've seen in lunches...

-Cut out sandwiches (cookie cutters)
-colored foods (I guess you use food coloring???)
-Special notes to the kids (they LOVE those)
-homemade cookies, etc.
-trail mixes (parent made). My own kids love when I make it and add those graham cracker bees.

Hang in there!

Levi and Stephanie Teasley said...

Abby, I will continue to pray for peace...I'm sure I will be going through the same thing when it's time for Ezri to start school!

Some fun lunch ideas...
-cut out sandwiches with cookie cutters, make faces or designs on top with m&m's, raisens, or nuts
-Put pictures of you, Scott, and the girls in a plastic cover inside her lunch box
-If you use brown paper bags for lunch you can have her decorate the front the night before (I used to do that with my mom and brother and loved it)
-Have her pack her lunch with you the night before, good Mom-daughter time
-notes or drawings to say you love her on her napkin (once she can read it can be really fun)

Love you, Steph

Nancy said...

Abby, you wouldn't be you if you didn't feel this way! I remember crying when ever there was a big "first" in ANY of the kids' lives. So that means I was crying all the time with 6 of them, right? It's normal and I was only going to add the one about notes. I even did that when the kids were in high school, or put one in Vic's lunch when he went to work. Not all the time, though...makes it more special that way.