Saturday, October 4, 2008

Making Applesauce


So yesterday my good friend Jackie came over and helped me make 33 jars of applesauce. If you have never had homemade applesauce you should because it is delicious! You will never eat store-bought again. Our girls will only eat homemade applesauce and home canned peaches so we make enough each year to last. In fact Scott and I did so many peaches last year we didn't even have to do any this year. Another great one is cherries. And by the way in these tough economic times this is way more cost-efficient than buying fresh fruit in the winter or canned. And no preservatives for you healthy folk and all natural ingredients. Anyway back to the applesauce...it took almost all day but was worth it. Thanks so much Jackie. It is hard to find an Amish friend! (She's not really Amish but we joke about it since we both like to be so domestic. Not that that is all that being Amish is about. And we use electricity and have many modern conveniences so I guess we aren't even close. But anyway....)
If you want the directions just enlarge this photo. I tried to do it uncomplicated but it was hard to squeeze it all in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMM...I love homemeade applesauce! I like to eat it warm with a little cinnamon on it. I also like it a little chunky. We're hoping to get a box of apples so we can make some around here.

Amber and Nala said...

Very cool! It looks great! We made some in a crockpot for our school Open House the other night but ours was chunky as we didn't have the nice Kitchen Aid & attachment. :) It still turned out good. I bet yours is delicious though!

Heidi C said...

Nice work Amish girl! :) I'm very impressed - and it motivates me to be even more domestic... especially "in these tough economic times." That comment just made me smile. I can just hear you saying that! But you're right, canning is the best. I haven't tried applesauce yet, but maybe one of these years...

Becky said...

Sounds delicious. I really need to get my canner out and start canning...