Monday, September 22, 2008

Alex's September Update!

Alex with one of the nannies that cares for him.

We got our update on Alex and this month they took candid photos. While I am thrilled to see him in his real life setting it also made me sad. The posed shots with the clean matching clothes feel a little better to me. These reminded me that our son is stuck in an orphanage. An orphanage where he is one of hundreds of children competing for attention, love, and toys. A place where I am sure he has had to cry himself to sleep at night and has now learned to self-soothe by rocking himself to sleep. (I am not judging the orphanage. They provided AMAZING care for these children. In fact it is by far the best orphanage situation he could be in and the only place I would want him to be in Haiti. I am just saying that when putting a hundred babies to sleep it would be impossible to soothe or rock them or feed them all to sleep.)
Anyway as you can see he still looks happy. He doesn't even know he has a family waiting for him. Sisters who pray every night for him and parents who long to hold him and bring him home. Why does this process have to be so long? We are still in pre-IBESR- that basically means we have a long, long way to go. I do believe we have the power to change things by prayer. Would you please pray that God would soften the hearts of the Haitian officials and allow adoptions to speed up? While Alex is being well cared for the orphanage is turning away babies and children because they are so full. Those precious little ones often starve to death. This is just so sad.....
Alex's stats:
Weight: 21 pounds 5 ounces
Height: 32.25 inches
This info made me so happy:

Alex is such a happy little boy! I have been in the nurseries much more this month to take all the photos, and it is always so much fun to see Alex. He is always smiling, and quite often jumping around. He bounces in his crib or just jumps around on the floor, because he always seems to be excited about something!

Alex also really likes being out on the balcony off of his nursery. He loves to look down at the people in the yard and all the activity there. When I am coming into the house, I often see Alex’s smiling face, looking down at me and his big smile and wave in greeting! That is always a great way to start the morning!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine how hard this must be. it is good to know that he is a happy healthy boy!

Rachelle said...

I will be praying for you.

Andrea said...

We're praying for him all the time to come home to his family soon.

Becky said...

Oh-I can't imagine how hard this must be...we will pray this process will speed up!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, he is precious!! Such a great smile. I'm prayin' for you!

Jenn said...

Alex is so cute!
I agree about the candid pictures. I love seeing them in their natural setting. It gives me a little more of an idea what life is like for each of them. They do take great care of the kids at GLA. But is also a reminder that even though they are receiving great care they are still without a family to protect and provide for them emotionally, physically and spiritually. The one thing that I have held to during this time is that God has surrounded each child with His compassion and love. Each orphan is resting in the center most part of God's heart. He is always with them. I hope your journey through this process goes smoothly and quickly...as quickly as life in Haiti can go! :) (I do love the culture there, it is way more relaxed and relational rather than the stressed out go, go, go that is common in our country).