This is the face she now makes when we say, "Smile!"
A fun Birthday: Balloons from her sisters in bed, donuts with sprinkles, swinging outside with her baby doll, going to Hailey's school for lunch and recess, opening presents (Little People Tea Party for Hailey, My Little Pony remote control from Karis, Bitty Baby picnic set, Birdie mobiles from Daddy and Mommy.)when Daddy and Hailey got home, going out for ice-cream! (Changing her mind after we ordered and Karis kindly trading with her.)
Love this look- "Mom.....come on....no more photos!"
Really...could 2 years have really gone by that quickly? I thought I would tell Avery's birth story (I got this idea from Kelly's blog). When I was 37 weeks pregnant with her I went in for a routine appointment and the dr. told me she was breech. He gave me a couple options and since I am really not into having my stomach cut open I opted to try and have the baby turned. So I went to the hospital, they hooked me up to some machines, gave me a shot, and pushed and pulled until they got her head down. Yeah..not so fun.... So I went home and felt a lot better. Her head had been pushing against my ribs.
The next night as I sat watching TV Scott and I watched my belly move in a huge way as she turned herself back up! So went to the dr. a week later- went back to the hospital and had her turned again. At this point the nurses declared she was either a boy or a feisty one. We all know how that turned out. Went home, sat on the couch, same thing happened again. I was not happy. Thankfully I have a really good dr.- one of only 3 in the Yakima Valley willing to do a vaginal birth with a breech baby. He's been a dr. forever and I met the qualifications (gave birth before, gave birth quickly, gave birth to a large baby before). However he decided to try and turn her one more time. Since Karis' birth happened so fast he didn't want me driving 40 minutes birthing a breech baby in the car so he decided the safest bet was to induce me. Something I hadn't done before but at that point it seemed like the best way to go.
So Sunday around 11 we dropped the girls off at my parents and went to the hospital. They gave me the shot again and he pushed and pulled and tugged and finally got her to move head down. I was sweating and in pain but trying to pretend I was fine...I didn't want him to give up until he got her turned. Then he put in some cervical gel and had me lay perfectly still until her head engaged. Then he told me it would probably be at least 12 hours until labor started. Well he came back 4 hours later and I was in active labor. He ordered the epidural which was great for a little while. Then it quit working. I kept saying, "Why get a shot in the back if it doesn't do any good?" My whole family was there, people chatting all over having a great time and I was in agony. Dr. told me it would be several more hours and I thought I can't take this. So he ordered another epidural. At that point I was only dilated to 3 and I was thinking I never should have tried inducing this child. Even though she was 5 days late at this point.
Well he decided to check me again and said, "You are having a baby!" He rushed out of the room, changed his clothes, nurses came in and adjusted the bed and I was pushing. He got back in, I pushed a couple times and out she came. So in 20 minutes I went from a 3 to birth! That's why it hurt so much the nurse said. The funny thing is they thought it was a small baby and that's why she turned so easily but no- 9 pounds 9 ounces!! When she came out I said, "What is it?" And when they said, "A girl!" we all went "ooohhh" and started laughing. My mom, Becky, Hannah, and Scott were all there. I have it all on video if anyone wants to watch. Just kidding. Anyway she had dark hair, lots of it. In fact when I started pushing my mom goes, "The head is out!! It is darling!!" So it all turned out great. And the nurse was right...we got a feisty one!!
9 comments:
Oooohhhh! We Hoefer wives do have babies quickly. And we have feisty ones. I can attest to that! I'll tell you my birthing story sometime, Abby!!
How sweet. Her birthday pictures were adorable and I'm always up for a birth story!!!
Happy Birthday, Avery!
I remember that day very clearly because I was like 10 weeks along or something and I kept thinking "this will be me in a few months"! It is hard to believe that was TWO years ago!
I remember gettting a phone call after one of those turning appointments. I can't believe it has been 2 years!
Oh my gosh...you are amazing! I can't believe they had to turn her that many times. Great story! :) Tell Karis thanks for playing with me too. ;)
The turning sounds awful!! I delivered quick with my 2nd (natural birth, not by choice) and it was crazy how fast she got here. Avery sure is a cutie! Love those big blue eyes!!
Why do they grow so Fast? What a adorable little girl, (they all are), the pictures were precious and birdie party, so cute. What a GREAT Mommy!
Happy Birthday Avery!
Loved the birth story Abby, 3cm to baby in 20 minutes... amazing!!!
But a cute feisty one!
Post a Comment