Monday, September 15, 2008

The Church Outfit


So 11 months ago when Karis got this gymnastics/ballet outfit that matches her Bitty Baby I seriously thought the phase of wearing it daily would last a couple weeks maybe. As the months went on and the weather was freezing but she wore it anyway I started to realize it would be a few months. When my mom ended up buying her another one at the American Girl Doll store this summer because the first one was actually gross and so stained from being worn day in and out for 8 months I realized this could go on for awhile. How long? Well we are approaching a year. I will say she doesn't wear it every single day like she did for months but still at least 4-5 times a week.
So yesterday when she decided this was what she was wearing to church with thick winter striped tights I didn't bat an eye. I am used to this. Me the woman who is really into her girl's clothes. Who really likes things to match and look appropriate for the seasons. Who actually gets more excited about their clothes than my own (almost). Thankfully Hailey wears whatever I tell her is cute. And Avery doesn't have too much of an opinion on it yet. So 2 out of 3 I get to dress. Not bad. And I figure- how much longer will she be this free? Free to dress how she wants without caring what others think. That is a freedom most of us don't have-so how can I take it away? It is what makes Karis Rachael who she is. And I think everyone is used to it...as none of the parents or teachers in her Sunday School class yesterday batted an eye either. Although she did get some, "You are so adorable" comments....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think she is hilarious! and if wearing striped tights with her gymnastics outfit makes her happy, then why not?!

Becky said...

She is adorable!

Amber and Nala said...

I love it...she has such a spunky personality. One day she will get a good laugh out of these stories. :)

KELLY said...

These two posts crack me up...Faith and I have a standing "rule" that I get to choose her clothes for school. I forgot to add church in to the mix. So...you should see the outfits she has worn.

Totally can relate to the athletic ability thing, too.

Jen said...

She's so funny!! I agree, I think she'll get a good laugh at these pictures some day. She'll be blaming you!! :) That's what I always did to my poor mom.

Nancy said...

Yep, my motto was "give in on the little things because the big things you can't"; and another one, if they want a weird hair-do, i.e., your son wants a mohawk or a mullet (ick), let him when he is young because he won't be able to after he graduates! (Hopefully! We have one who still has funky hair dos!) And yes, Karis is unique and you wouldn't want to take that away! She is spunky, and I adore that!

Kristi said...

So cute. The girls seem like they have grown so much just since we saw them last!