Friday, January 11, 2008

I Never Thought This Day Would Come...



So ever since Christmas when Hailey got her Leapster Karis has begged for one. She and Hailey have spent a lot of time even fighting over Hailey's Leapster. Well as I was talking to my Mom yesterday I came up with a brilliant plan. I told Karis that if she took all her "fices" to Fred Meyer she could exchange them for a Leapster. Thinking she would refuse I was shocked when she said, "OK....Let's do it Mom".
So we searched through the house and gathered them all into a Ziploc baggie and took them to FM. The plan went beautifully. She picked out a Leapster and a Princess game, we went up to the cashier, and she handed her the baggie. The cashier went along with it. All was well for a good hour or so.....now reality has hit. A few minutes ago she was sobbing and saying, "I don't want a Leapster, I just want my fices Mommy". It is rather heart-breaking...which I knew it would be. Which is why we took all the "fices" out of the house. I knew otherwise I would give in. In fact everything in me wants to go to the store and buy some more....but I know that wouldn't be good. Actually she only cried for a few minutes, I held her, and she is now happily painting. However I am a little concerned for the next few nights...so if you think about it say a little prayer for us....her especially.
The funny thing is I really think Scott and I are as sad about this as she is. We just know how sensitive she is and how hard this is for her so it is hard for us to see. But the more I read about pacifiers the more convinced I am that IT IS TIME!! She is over 3 years old and apparently kids don't just happily give them up at any point so I figure it is just going to get harder. In fact I read on www.askdrsears.com (a great website by the way with excellant parenting advice) that even he thinks you should get rid of them. Which really surprises me because he is usually really into letting kids just be kids etc. etc. So here we are.....no more fices....and hopefully no more fights over the Leapster between Hailey and Karis!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Karis!

Anonymous said...

I had to really fight to keep from crying when we did that whole routine with Olivia. It's like saying good-bye to baby-hood...Be brave though, you'll get through it. I'll pray for you.
Suzanne

Becky said...

We will hope it goes well and will be thinking of her.

Alicen said...

How sad! Another milestone! It's so bitter sweet to watch your babies grow up... any suggestions on how to wean my 2 1/2 year old from sucking her thumb?

Andrea said...

She looks perfectly content with her leapster! Very proud of her.