Thursday, April 3, 2008

What We Have Resorted To..

Well...I guess I should say what I have resorted to....Scott just went along with it.
The last two nights Hailey has been too scared to sleep in her new room. Being the non-co-sleeping family that we are I can't handle it. I have friends who love the family bed. Everyone all snuggled up happily. Yeah...I loved it too.....for the first couple of months....after that all I could think is, "I could be sleeping so much better right now if I wasn't being kicked and listening to every single noise." Believe me- there's enough noise in the bed just sleeping with Scott. Can I get an Amen on that one? Anyone whose ever slept in the same vicinity of him knows what I am talking about.....

Anyway.....all that to say Hailey's solution to her fear is sleeping with us......So two nights ago when she started crying for the 5th time and Scott was up with her patiently rubbing her back I walked in with a teething tablet. Although she didn't know it was a teething tablet (a homeopathic teething tablet that works great for some amazing reason with Avery). I stage whispered to Scott, "Maybe we should try this pill the dr. told me about. It helps kids sleep all night and keeps them from being scared. Do you think we should try it?" To which Scott whispered back, "Well......" To which Hailey said, "YES. We should try it!" So I gave it to her and didn't hear another peep.

The next morning she got up and said, "Mom! The pill you gave me worked great! I wasn't scared. But when I was I told God I liked horsies, and American Girl Dolls." (One of my previous approaches was telling her whenever she got scared to talk to God about things she liked and to ask Him to help her think happy thoughts.)

So last night as she was going to bed she said, "I think I need one of those pills again." I hope we don't have an addict on our hands. And I really hope she doesn't tell her teacher that her mommy gives her pills to help her sleep!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I don't know how Scott gets any sleep with you in the room! For those of you that haven't ever shared a room with Abby, you don't know how loud she is!
Second, I think the teething pill is hilarious! I don't know how you come up with these things.

Heidi C said...

Abby you are too much! That story cracked me up... what will you think of next??? :)

Rachelle said...

How funny! I will have to remember this trick.

Becky said...

What is Karis's take on all this? Is she the brave girl or is she hoping for a pill too?

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! The power of suggestion is strong.

katie m