I keep meaning to blog this story so that I don't forget it. Many of you have already heard it I'm sure but I was thinking about it the other day and it made me laugh. It will also give you a glimpse of small-town life!
This happened about a month after we moved here.
Monday: I drove the car down to this little coffee shop near the University. I got out the double stroller (they were 2 and 8 months then...wow...time flies) and went in and bought a coffee, chatted with the barista a bit about how we had just moved here and then went on a walk.
Wednesday: Went to a playgroup at the park. Met a lady named Beth and started chatting with her. She asked where I was from and I told her and then she said, "Hey did you leave your stroller at a store or somewhere in town this week?" I said, "No...why?" She said, "Well my husband came home from somewhere he had been and said there was a nice double stroller parked outside and the clerk didn't know who it belonged to but it was a woman who had recently moved here from Portland with 2 little girls."
I thought, "Wow....someone else has just moved here from Portland with 2 girls? I HAVE to meet her. How cool....." And then continued with the playgroup. After playgroup I stopped at Albertsons to do some grocery shopping. The clerk helped me out and I said, "Just put the groceries around the stroller in the back." He opened up the back and said, "There's no stroller in here."
"Uh-oh" I thought.....and then started laughing to myself as I realized Beth was talking about me. Unfortunately I didn't know Beth's phone number and I couldn't remember where I would have left the stroller! However as I was driving home it dawned on me that I must have forgotten it at the coffee shop. So I drove by and what do you know? My nice, fairly new, good condition stroller was sitting outside the store safe and sound. I ran in and the same barista was there. She said, "I was hoping you would come back! I have been telling everyone and asking if they knew who you were." Well there you have it ...small town life and a funny story that could only happen to me...and maybe Rachael....
4 comments:
That is hilarious, Abby! Thanks for the laugh today. :)
oh abby! too funny.
What I love about this story is that it is so YOU. Many of us would accidentally leave a stroller somewhere. Only YOU would think that Beth was talking about ANOTHER recent PDX transplant with two little girls. That's why we love you. : )
Oh Thanks Everyone. You are all so sweet....Monica you make me laugh!!
Post a Comment