Thursday, November 15, 2007

National Adoption Month

So I have to do a few little plugs here for things close to my heart. Did you know there are literally hundreds of thousands of orphans in the world? Did you know that Jesus talks about orphans many, many times in the Bible?
James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...."
Psalm 10:14, 17-18 "You are the defender of the orphans...Lord you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will listen to their cries and comfort them. You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed......"

You and I are the answer for the orphan crisis in this world. There are many, many ways we can be involved in bringing justice to these little ones. Cry of the Orphan website has some great information: http://www.cryoftheorphan.org/Display.asp?Page=Broadcast.

Scott and I have prayerfully considered this and even though their are so many we have decided to make a difference in the life of one. It seems so small but it is so huge to this one.....
We are planning (Lord willing) to adopt a little boy from Haiti. We are so sooo excited!! So are the girls...in fact every night they pray for their brother in Haiti. We have sent in our dossier, done a home study, been fingerprinted, and done a ton of other paperwork and now we are waiting. The orphanage we are going through prays over each dossier and then refers the child they feel led to to our family. It will then still take almost a year to bring him home because the Haitian government moves very slowly. So please pray for us and for our little one that God ordained before the beginning of time to be a part of our family.
Here is the link to our orphanage that gives a lot of other information: http://www.glahaiti.org/

I will keep you updated as we know more....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for your family too! (Not just because of the fact that we could use some more boy cousins around here!)

Alicen said...

We pray that the Lord will bless you greatly in this new journey together! What a wonderful gift of LIFE you're giving to a special child.

Jen said...

This is so exciting!! I'll be praying for your family. Thanks for sharing all the info about adoption.

Heidi C said...

Abby, you are an inspiration to me!!! I am so excited how God is using you and Scott to love and change the life of a child. I am going to check into that orphanage site and want to pass it along to my family. The body of Christ is the answer to the orphan and fosterchildren crisis in the world. Thank you for reminding us of our calling as followers of Jesus! Love you!

Sara Shearer said...

Abby, That is so wonderful. I will definitely be praying for you and will be checking back to see updates on your exciting adventure the Lord has you on!!! The Lord Bless Your family!!!