Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Parenting The Five Year Old 101



Tell the child it is time to get her hair cut. When she refuses and says she wants to grow it long agree that this would be fine. Everyday when you comb her hair and she cries, carries on, complains, and so forth lovingly spray large amounts of no-tangle spray and oh so casually mention how much easier her very fine but very thick hair would be to comb if it was shorter.
Wait approximately 2 months. The 5 year old will then come up with a great idea, "Hey Mom...I think I want to get my hair cut. Don't you think it would look cuter short?" Act nonchalant and say, "Are you sure? I thought you wanted to grow it out?" However frantically run into the next room and see if the hair stylist has an opening that day. Schedule it. An hour or so later say, "I could see if we could get you in today to get your hair cut." The five year old will jump up and down in excitement. Say, "I don't know though...you've been growing it out for awhile though and it can be hard to get into the hair cut place." The five year old will then ask you to try. A few minutes later let her know she has an appointment and will be able to get her hair cut that afternoon. Take her to the salon beaming the whole way and let her tell the lady she wants short hair. Presto.....and a tear free morning will result. You will lovingly look in each others eyes as mother and daughter as you gently comb her now short and manageable hair. And she'll look super cute too!

5 comments:

Jen said...

It looks so cute, I love it!

Melissa said...

She's so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh brother! Although, I have to do that with Brent sometimes too. It has to be HIS idea. I love the haircut.

Anonymous said...

She looks soooo cute Abby!

Katie myers

Becky said...

It is very cute. I go through the same battle with Ella, so much so that if we are just at home I don't even bother anymore. Her's must be fine to because if I don't comb it is seems to detangle on its own. Maybe its time for another cut! When are you taking Karis again?