
So after the hula party Isabela and Sammy came over to play. Carrie and I had a great time chatting and chatting while the kids played outside. Then Sammy came running in to tell us he found baby birds. He sure did! We think they were less than a day old. They were opening their mouths but no sound came out! They were so hideously ugly but so pathetic. So Carrie climbed the tree- of course I couldn't find the ladder so I brought out the bar stool that twists. It was a little scary as she would stand on it and put her foot up and then it would twist her around. Anyway she found the nest with another bird still in it. We called Scott the Biologist and I wanted him to call the wild-life rescue people but he didn't think they were on call for baby birds.
He told us to find gloves- all I could find was my Williams-Sonoma dish gloves! The ones Kristi convinced me to buy. Not the ones I wanted to use on baby birds. But I did for the sake of helping save the earth....one birdie at a time. Anyway I picked up the bird by scooping it with one hand...Carrie wore the other glove, Climbed the barstool as it twisted around, handed it to Carrie who was balanced and hanging in the tree. got back down and did the same with the other one. Karis was sobbing. The little compassionate one that she is. Sammy was thrilled- a 7 year old boy and all. Isa and Hailey were hiding under the slide. And Carrie and I were so grossed out but trying to hold it together for the children. I was actually stifling screams of horrification. If you are an avid reader of this blog you will know that I actually detest birds!!
I wanted Scott to check on them that night but he thought we should leave them alone. Karis was quite concerned that night but we convinced her they were probably safe with their mommy.
2 comments:
I agree-Gross, but would like to know if they are doing ok. We would like an update when you get the chance.
yes, those babies are disgusting, but i am glad you opted to save them.
Post a Comment