
So I thought I would write some about our experiences with public transportation. Our hotel was 3 miles from the Grove so we originally thought we would walk. We thought the exercise would be great! When we got there we realized walking was not going to work because the roads were really busy and it was just a long ways. We knew we didn't want to rent a car and attempt to navigate through LA- those who know me and my mom well know why. I can get lost in Ellensburg! My Dad thought we should just take cabs and even gave us cash to make sure we did and we were about to when someone told us how great the bus system was. So we decided to give it a try.
The first time we got on the bus driver looked a little grouchy and quite somber. Mom stood up next to her and asked all kinds of questions while she was driving: How much did it cost, did we pay each time we got on and off, what bus took us to the Grove, what time did they leave and come, how often, etc. etc. By the time we got off the driver was laughing hysterically and we hadn't even paid yet. She said just to pay on the next bus. So we got off and found the other bus and bought a 1 day pass for only $5. What a deal- much cheaper than a cab!
Everytime we got on people were so friendly and helpful. Mom would just start asking questions and they would totally help us out. In fact one guy said, "Are you the ones here from Washington?" Apparently he remembered us from the day before. About the 3rd day we found out from a more serious driver (some were much more helpful than others) that my Mom and I each needed a pass and as one passenger pointed out, "Otherwise everyone would come together on one pass." We felt a little bad that we had been cheating the system and didn't even know it.
Another time we got on the Dash which was only a quarter but we didn't have any change. So many people passing by started giving us change that we ended up with 75 extra cents!! People were so nice! Another time we went to get on as we had been each time with an umbrella stroller loaded with bags and the driver made us fold it up. It was quite the scene trying to hold all of our bags and collapse the stroller which we couldn't figure out while everyone watched us. I said, "The entertainment is free!"
Hailey became quite the pro. She would say, "Now is this the right bus? Do we get on the 217 now? Mom- it said Fairfax, we have to get off there." It was really cute. One last story. We decided we wanted to try and find another mall that was close by so we stopped at the hotel concierge to ask which one to take. While talking to them I thought I heard the bus so I yelled, "The bus!" And went running with the stroller which had our bag of food on it from the breakfast. Well I tripped on the stairs, my food went flying and an orange went rolling. A man watching saw and ran to help by grabbing the orange but slipped and fell. It was horrible. He wasn't upset though and he said, "Are you late for work?" "No just the mall." I said. Of course Mom and I were laughing so hysterically that I almost pulled a Rachael.
Another time we got on the wrong bus and thought we were totally lost but then it took us right to the front door of our hotel. Other people who had been trying to help us realized where we were supposed to be and got the driver to stop!
So those are some of our adventures on the bus and economic travel!
1 comment:
Is that makeup you are wearing?? You look great in all of the pics and your hair is getting a little longer...it looks so good! What a fun trip for Hailey...she will remember this forever!
Post a Comment