Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Flying Free

So a couple weeks ago we rescued some baby birds. The full story is in my archives. Anyway the girls have been begging to see the birds. I actually climbed a ladder to look at them last week and they were just fine- chirping away and growing feathers. So we decided to attempt to let the girls climb the ladder to look. Well Scott went up first and then looked at me and said, "They are D-E-A-D." Hailey said, "Why are they D-E-A-D? What does D-E-A-D spell?" Scott and I exchanged one of those parent to parent looks that conveyed the following thoughts: Should we tell them? Karis will cry. This will bring up lots of sad questions again. They will be so sad. This is life. They need to learn about life with us to help them. This is just a little situation, someday they will hurt much more. (All the things that are hard to think about as parents.)

So he climbed down the ladder and said, "The birdies died." Both girls looked shocked and sad but it wasn't as bad as I thought. It did bring up lots of questions about death though. Things that aren't fun to talk about. Scott told them that the birdies were flying free in heaven with Jesus. Karis said, "Just like your mom." Ohhh.....so sad. Then we talked about how God cares even for the little birdies but even more for us.

Fast forward a couple hours. We went upstairs and began our bedtime ritual. Every night Scott reads from a little devotional book to the girls. I believe it is the one Andrea gave us when Hailey was born. So he turns to July 15 and reads the verse at the top: "Don't be afraid. You are worth much more than many birds. Matthew 10:30" I look at him and mouth: "Is that really today's?" And he nods. The little story talks about how God takes good care of His creation. It even says, "God even notices when a little bird falls out of its nest. If He takes such good care of animals, just think how closely He's watching over you!"

It was such a cool reminder for me that these little things are not just coincidences and that the Spirit is already working in our girl's hearts. Teaching them throughout the day and then even reinforcing these things during their devotions at night. The story ended with this little rhyme: God cares for the chipmunks and birds I see. But I know He cares even more for me!"

4 comments:

Jen said...

That's so cool how God worked out your devotional. I love hearing stories like that!

Jillian Weiss said...

Love it, thanks for sharing.

Melissa said...

How precious!

Andrea said...

God is soooo GOOD!