Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Camping



Well most of you know I am not much of a camper. In fact since we've had the girls I have only camped once when Hailey was a baby. Scott has taken Hailey a couple times. And then there was the infamous trip the year I was 8 months pregnant with Avery. Our small group went to some remote, filthy place where there were tons of bugs, lots of dirt, and no bathrooms. I only stayed for the day and that was enough for me. The group still laughs about that trip.....
So I think everyone was quite shocked that I thought camping at Lake Chelan would be fun. So....we decided to go Sunday night. Levi and Steph and their 2 girls (Ezri and Edan) also went. The drive up was not fun....Avery screamed and cried. Not a good traveler. We got there and things went well though. Set up camp, played in the water, ate dinner, made smores, girls played- filthy but having fun. Then bedtime came......
Hailey and Karis were exhausted so started fighting, then crying hysterically by Karis. We are in a campground so it was not good. People all around and she is hysterical. I am pulling out all the empty threats I can think of, "If you don't stop we are going to pack everything up and go home right now." Yeah- that's going to happen. "If you don't stop we will never go camping again." Yeah- don't think so. Scott tried, "If you don't stop we are going to the van and you are sleeping there." Well something finally worked because she stopped. And somehow Avery slept through it......until she woke up around 1:00 crying hysterically. I was in a panic thinking she would wake up Hailey and Karis which surprisingly she didn't. The only way to get her calm was for Scott to hold her so she ended up sleeping the rest of the night on his chest. Nice for her....
The next morning they got up at 6:15 ready to start the day. I was exhausted. We went to the water park which was incredible. Pam/Dave and Mike/Crissy and their kids met us there plus Carrie/Freddie were there too so that made it really fun. The girls did pretty well there and had a great time for the most part. Avery was a little on the edge but not bad. We had intended to spend that night but decided to go home and get some sleep. So we went back to camp and packed up and then drove the 2 hours home in which Avery screamed for at least half of if not more. Sheer exhaustion- poor thing. I knew it was our fault for not napping her but my goodness it wasn't fun to listen to. We stopped and got out and had dinner and then she did better after that...or maybe my ipod was playing so loud I just couldn't hear her.
Anyway...camping wasn't a complete disaster and I definitely see potential for it getting better and better as the girls get older.

9 comments:

Becky said...

Well at least you can say you tried...I am glad it was you not me, Ella wants to go with you next time!

AshlandFive said...

Oh my goodness! That's so funny. Well, not so much for you. Just stick to it! I love camping...and we go every summer a few times. The kids get used to it, and learn it's just like home, except way more fun. You are lucky you had nice weather. We went on the weekend we had 100 degree weather. Uhhh. And, not to mention thunderstorms so bad that trees were cracking and even coming down! ;) But, we survived. You're a good momma for doing it.

Jen said...

I know how you feel about camping....it's not my fave either. But, I think my kids are getting old enough to do it now! We're hoping to go one night before the summer is over. Your trip looks like fun!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amber and Nala said...

I love the pictures of Avery all filthy and so expressive! She is a doll!

Andrea said...

After all that I did not expect you to say you plan on camping again in the future! But then again, I am definitely not a camper to begin with.

Abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I'm a little worried about the deleted comments! But that is what they'd have to do to mine if I told you about once when Derek and Audi were little...which means Scott was there. At Round Butte. We never went again... They were about 3 and 4. Or 2 and 3. Anyway, you're more of a "Happy Camper" than I was! Food for thought: I am the eldest of 14 children. We didn't go camping except ONCE when I was in high school. We had so much fun!! At least I remember it that way. Mom and Dad didn't...and we never went again...the babies got uh-hum, well, you know... in a tent, primitive camping... we had to go to a stream to get our water. So I think our camping trips as a married couple probably were not as bad as when my mom and dad took all of us. ~ Nancy